Maths and Science GCSE tuition online
I cover all GCSE courses including the International GSCE from Edexcel and Cambridge. Wherever you are in the world, I can support you and help you get the best grades. If you’re a parent, I can give you advice on how you can help.
I’ve been teaching online for over ten years and face-to-face for nearly thirty – I’ve seen some changes!
There are many advantages to online tutoring sessions. Here is how is works:
- We use Skype for free calls. Zoom is a good alternative.
- I share my screen with the student.
- I write notes, draw diagrams and share resources using a graphics tablet and the microsoft OneNote whiteboard. Finished notes can be saved for you as pdf files.
- We can view articles and exam papers which I can edit and save, showing the best answers and exam techniques.
- If appropriate, I set up a shared folder in Google Drive where all notes and resources can be stored and the student can access at any time.
What are the benefits of online tutoring?
- You may not be able to find a suitable local tutor.
- You can choose from a wider range of tutors – it doesn’t matter where they live if you’re working over the internet.
- You don’t have to create a space for a visiting tutor.
- You don’t have to travel to a tutor’s house.
- It is easier to arrange and rearrange sessions if there is no travelling.
- If your child is not well, an internet session may still be possible, even if it’s a short one.
- You don’t have to stick to a set time, whereas visiting a tutor may not seem worthwhile for anything less than an hour. You have more flexibility to vary the lesson times.
- Notes made during lessons can be saved. In fact the whole session could be saved as a video.
- Because screens are shared during an online session, I can show and edit any document that I have in my tuition database, as well as showing clips from videos and revision websites.
What do we do in a private tuition session?
There are many things that we can do during a session, depending on how far into the course you are.
- We can review what you’ve just covered in class so that you fully understand and don’t fall behind. It’s really important to learn and understand as you go, rather than relying on revision.
- We can plan to progress through the syllabus from beginning to end in a logical order, aiming to complete all topics in good time for exam preparation.
- We can practice exam-style questions and exam technique, making sure that you don’t lose marks unnecessarily and that you can gain marks even when you don’t fully understand what to do.
Paying for online tuition: