- Written exam only – no practical exam or controlled assessment.
- Two written exam papers, 1 hour 45 minutes each, taken at the end of the course – no modules.
- Foundation and Higher tiers.
- Each paper has a variety of question types including multiple choice, structured, closed short answer and open response.
- First exam is summer 2018.
- Instead of a practical exam, there are ten required practicals in school. Some exam questions will be about these practicals.
- Paper 1 covers the topics 1–5: Atomic structure and the periodic table; Bonding, structure, and the properties of matter; Quantitative chemistry, Chemical changes; and Energy changes.
- Paper 2 covers the topics 6–10: The rate and extent of chemical change; Organic chemistry; Chemical analysis, Chemistry of the atmosphere; and Using resources.
- You can take this exam privately, but you’ll be at a disadvantage as some questions will refer to the required practicals, and you may have problems finding a centre that will accept you without having arranged to do the practicals.
Exam papers, marking schemes and examiners’ reports:
Clicking on the links will download the document.
HT = Higher Tier; FT = Foundation Tier; P = paper; MS = marking scheme; EC = examiners’ report